As pupils increasingly use the internet as a source of information it is important that they learn to become critical consumers of this information. Educator Kathy Schrock suggests that pupils should use the 5Ws when evaluating any website.
- Who wrote the pages and are they an expert?
- Is a biography of the author included?
- How can I find out more about the author?
- What is the purpose of the site?
- What makes the site easy to use?
- What information is included and does it differ from other sites?
- When was the site updated?
- When was it last updated?
- Where does the information come from?
- Where can I look to find out more about the sponsor of the site?
- Why is the information useful for my purpose?
- Why should I use this information?
- Why is this site better than another?