- How do I get the free iLife and iWork Apps on my iPad? (Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iPhoto, Garageband & iMovie)
- Can I buy In-App Purchases through VPP?
- How do I set up my work email on my iPad?
- Why should I buy an iPad and not an Android tablet?
- Which iPad should I buy?
- Which case should I buy for my iPads?
- How can I charge and store my iPads?
- What do I do if a school iPad is lost or stolen?
- How do I connect an iPad to LT_OPEN?
- How do I connect my iPad to a projector?
- Is there a list of good Apps for the iPad?
- How do I restore a locked iPad with a forgotten passcode?
How do I get the free iLife and iWork Apps on my iPad? (Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iPhoto, Garageband & iMovie)
These are all free and if not automatically appearing on your iPad, can be found in the app store.
Pages Keynote Numbers iPhoto Garageband iMovie
Can I buy In-App Purchases through VPP?
Unfortunately, you cannot buy in-app purchases through the VPP store. This means that in-app purchases must be made with an Apple ID linked to a payment, or gift card. We strongly recommend that for Education, you ditch the App and try to find an alternative
How do I set up my work email on my iPad?
You can find a guide here Office 365 Guide 1 – Email v5 to show you how to set up your work email on your iPad. Make sure you have a full internet connection by following our instructions on ‘How to Connect to LT_OPEN’
Why should I buy an iPad and not an Android tablet?
Edinburgh schools trialled a range of devices and the iPad came out as the best device for education. Read the research here University of Hull, Edinburgh 1:1 Mobile Evaluation, 2012 – 2013
Which iPad should I buy?
For Education, we would recommend buying a 32GB, Wifi only iPad. You will get the best prices by purchasing through XMA’s Scottish Government National Framework Agreement. The iPad offering best value for money and most suitable for educational purposes is currently called ‘iPad’. Contact XMA for more details.
Which case should I buy for my iPads?
Cases can be procured from XMA. The recommended case is the STM Dux. Some details can be found in the iPad Accessories section of the Framework Agreement – for additional model and pricing details, contact XMA.
How can I charge and store my iPads?
Most classrooms have a lockable drawer or filing cabinet in which iPads can be securely stored at the end of the school day. Whilst there are a number of custom-designed charging/storage products available, it is also possible to build a low-cost solution simply by using a multi-gang socket and a dish rack.
What do I do if a school iPad or computer is lost or stolen?
The loss or theft of computing equipment is classed as an ICT Security Incident. If a loss or theft occurs, the school should contact CGI on 0800 783 7158 and report it as a security incident. The CGI ICT Security Manager will investigate and consult the Council’s ICT Security Manager and Information Governance unit. Further information can be found here on the Orb.
Information Security may require:
- copies of any internal incident report which should provide information on date and time, circumstances of loss/theft, location of devices within the school, whether the devices were staff or pupil devices, type of data which would have been stored on them and if anything else was stolen during the break-in e.g. other electrical equipment or paper records etc;
- Police incident reference;
- CCTV footage which has been provided to the Police;
- if Property Security have been notified.
Following notification on the above, Information Security will contact the school again but if you would like to discuss any of the above in the first instance please call Information Security on 0131 529 7987.
How do I connect my iPad to a projector?
iPads and iPad Minis can be connected to a projector using a VGA Adapter. VGA Adapters can be procured through the XMA Scottish Government National Framework Agreement. iPad Retina/Air/Mini requires an Apple Lightning VGA Adapter (Product Code: MD825ZM/A). iPad 2/3 requires an Apple 30-pin to VGA Adapter. iPads can also be connected via AppleTV, please contact the team for advice before purchasing.
Is there a list of good Apps for the iPad?
Collections of iPad Apps that have been reviewed by teachers can be found at Appitic and Educational App Store. In addition, Apple has organised apps into collections which can be accessed via iTunes.
How do I restore a locked iPad with a forgotten passcode?
1. Disconnect all cables from your device.
2. Turn off your device.
3. Press and hold the Home button. While holding the Home button, connect your device to iTunes. If your device doesn’t turn on automatically, turn it on.
4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
5. iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode.
6. Click OK, then restore the device.
For further information about restoring a device click here.