- How do I get the free iLife and iWork Apps on my iPad? (Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iPhoto, Garageband & iMovie)
- Can I buy In-App Purchases through VPP?
- How do I set up my work email on my iPad?
- Why should I buy an iPad and not an Android tablet?
- Which iPad should I buy?
- Which case should I buy for my iPads?
- How can I charge and store my iPads?
- What do I do if a school iPad is lost or stolen?
- How do I connect an iPad to LT_OPEN?
- How do I connect my iPad to a projector?
- Is there a list of good Apps for the iPad?
- How do I restore a locked iPad with a forgotten passcode?
How do I get the free iLife and iWork Apps on my iPad? (Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iPhoto, Garageband & iMovie)
To qualify for free iLife and iWork Apps you must have an iPad that was activated after 1st September 2013 running iOS 7. The Apps should be listed free in the App store. If not, sign out of your Apple ID, and sign back in again.
Use the quick links below from your iPad to make life easier.
Pages Keynote Numbers iPhoto Garageband iMovie
NB – the ‘Free’ version of Garageband does not include all the smart instruments. These have to be bought through an In-App Purchase.
Can I buy In-App Purchases through VPP?
Unfortunately, you cannot buy in-app purchases through the VPP store. This means that in-app purchases must be made with an Apple ID linked to a payment, or gift card. We strongly recommend that for Education, you ditch the App and try to find an alternative
How do I set up my work email on my iPad?
You can find a guide here Office 365 Guide 1 – Email v5 to show you how to set up your work email on your iPad. Make sure you have a full internet connection by following our instructions on ‘How to Connect to LT_OPEN’
Why should I buy an iPad and not an Android tablet?
Edinburgh schools trialled a range of devices and the iPad came out as the best device for education. Read the research here University of Hull, Edinburgh 1:1 Mobile Evaluation, 2012 – 2013
Which iPad should I buy?
For Education, we would recommend buying a 16GB, Wifi only iPad. You will get the best prices by purchasing through XMA’s Scottish Government National Framework Agreement. If you want a large iPad we would recommend the iPad Air 2, and if you want to smaller iPad, we would recommend the iPad mini 4. You can compare models by clicking here
Which case should I buy for my iPads?
Cases can be procured through the XMA Scottish Government National Framework Agreement. The recommended cases are the STM Dux Rugged for iPad (Product code: 222066GB01EDU) or the STM Dux Rugged for iPad Mini (Product code: 222066J01EDU).
How can I charge and store my iPads?
Most classrooms have a lockable drawer or filing cabinet in which iPads can be securely stored at the end of the school day. Whilst there are a number of custom-designed charging/storage products available, it is also possible to build a low-cost solution simply by using a multi-gang socket and a dish rack.
What do I do if a school iPad is lost or stolen?
The school should write to firstname.lastname@example.org to tell them what has happened, including the device’s serial number if at all possible.
Information Security will require:
- copies of any internal incident report which should provide information on date and time, circumstances of loss/theft, location of devices within the school, whether the devices were staff or pupil devices, type of data which would have been stored on them and if anything else was stolen during the break-in e.g. other electrical equipment or paper records etc;
- Police incident reference;
- CCTV footage which has been provided to the Police;
- if Property Security have been notified.
Following notification on the above Information Security will contact the school again but if you would like to discuss any of the above in the first instance please call Information Security on 0131 529 7987.
How do I connect my iPad to a projector?
iPads and iPad Minis can be connected to a projector using a VGA Adapter. VGA Adapters can be procured through the XMA Scottish Government National Framework Agreement. iPad Retina/Air/Mini requires an Apple Lightning VGA Adapter (Product Code: MD825ZM/A). iPad 2/3 requires an Apple 30-pin to VGA Adapter.
Is there a list of good Apps for the iPad?
Collections of iPad Apps that have been reviewed by teachers can be found at Appitic and Educational App Store. In addition, Apple has organised apps into collections which can be accessed via iTunes.
How do I restore a locked iPad with a forgotten passcode?
1. Disconnect all cables from your device.
2. Turn off your device.
3. Press and hold the Home button. While holding the Home button, connect your device to iTunes. If your device doesn’t turn on automatically, turn it on.
4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
5. iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode.
6. Click OK, then restore the device.