Providing a digital boost for pupils with 39,000 iPads in 1:1 roll-out.
The Empowered Learning programme will give every school pupil from P6 to S6 in Edinburgh their own digital device as part of our ambitious and inclusive education strategy, Edinburgh Learns for Life.
The 1:1 roll-out will start from September thanks to a £17.6m boost to learning and teaching. In addition to the personal distribution, iPads will also be issued to P1 to P6 groups on an agreed ratio.
Key elements of the Empowered Learning programme include:
- A phased roll-out of all devices by the end of 2022
- 27,000 new iPads issued to pupils/staff
- Refreshed iPads for up to 12,000 pupils/staff
- Expansion of wireless connectivity in schools to ensure that the correct IT infrastructure is in place to support the programme
- Comprehensive programme of professional learning for teachers
The roll-out meets a key element of one of the 15 outcomes and actions from the Council’s three year business plan ‘Our Future Council, Our Future City’: ‘increasing attainment for all and reducing the poverty-related attainment gap.’ The business plan was approved by Councillors during their budget meeting on February 18th where £8m of funding was also agreed for additional digital devices.
Further information on the Empowered Learning programme will follow in the weeks ahead.