Digital Leaders are a group of pupils who support the use and development of ICT in school. The group can vary in size and be made up of children of any age (usually upper pupils in primary schools). The roles of the members may include the following:
- Contribute to the school website
- Blog on behalf of the school, individual classes or clubs
- Share their ICT skills with classes, pupils and teachers
- Heighten the profile of digital safety running whole school competitions etc
- Lead lunchtime ICT clubs
- Share up to date resources with staff i.e. app of the week, websites and creative apps
- Share troubleshooting tips for iPad users
- Carry out iPad house keeping duties i.e. clearing camera rolls at the end of term
With a growing number of iPads, pupils at Clermiston Primary have formed a Digital Leaders team. They applied and interviewed for the job and are supported by a teacher who helps them with the organisation of tasks, ensures members have relevant skills and meets regularly with the team. Suzanne Gilhooley, PT at Clermiston, used resources created by the National Grid for Learning Wales to help get the team up and running.
Download the Digital Leaders Pack to help your school set up a team. It includes information about the roles of Digital Leaders, how to get started, application forms and links to further resources. This is an excellent way to involve pupils in the whole school ICT strategy, develop pupil voice and skills for life and work.